Monday, November 28, 2011

Snoooooow Crash and cyber punk

Really bad fanart was the best I could do for images...

Snow crash. Talk about a weird setup, and generic Character names. But cheesiness aside, this was a pretty good book. Hiro's character was rather indulging and fun to pay attention to. His job as a pizza delivery man for the mafia (which still doesn't make sense to me but I though was a pretty good play off of the greasy italian men who own pizza joints.) which was short lived was exciting in the beginning of the novel to take the reader into. His encounter with YT and their inevitable partnership was also a good set up with the car crash and life or death scenario. I had never heard of cyber punk before I had heard of this movie, but I have heard of Steam punk (which to me is most enjoyable through the visual media.)

The Metaverse reminded me of the concept in .hack//sign and the concept of being stuck in or living in a virtual world. But in this case, in the cyberpunk realm, it's more of a living environment than a video game.

And then Snowcrash, the weird virus/drug that affects people in the cyber realm as well as in the real world. Pretty fantastic stuff.

The whole book was pretty fantastic, and it's vulgar use of language made it more enjoyable to read as it make the characters more relatable. I would definitely consider reading/watching more cyberpunk after reading snowcrash because I feel as though I want more separation from sci-fi than what has been presented (mostly because I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan).


No comments:

Post a Comment